Access to this area was made available during the Fan Club’s ‘Inner Space’ event, do not try and access behind the scenes / off limits areas without permission. Join the Fan Club via the park’s official website.

Opened for the 1933 season alongside the Pleasure Beach Express, the Nickelodeon Streak (known as Roller Coaster until 2009) is a perennial Pleasure Beach favourite.

It hugs the eastern boundary at the southern end of the park, running parallel to Bond Street. It was built by Charles Paige, who was also responsible for the Grand National, the extension of the Big Dipper and the Southport Pleasureland Cyclone, among others.

Members of the park’s official fan club were taken behind the scenes of the ride on May 17 2025.

❝ It has been said ... ❞

"That's what you want - make the folks holler and the rest of the world comes along to see what they're hollering about ... then they have a go to see if it makes them holler too." ... Charles Paige, builder of the Grand National and the Nickelodeon Streak
The sprocket for the ride's chain connects directly to the motor in the small building to the right. It's regularly greased causing a buildup on the nearby woodwork.
The powerful electric motor is the ride's only means of propulsion, taking the 24 seat train to the top of the 61ft lift hill.
The transfer track in the station is used for the storage of out of service trains. It is also notable as being one of the few locations on the site where the sand of the beach on which the park was built can still be seen.
The ride has four brake controls, all operated by hand. Trims 1, 2 & 3 and the load brake. Some of the brakes use the concept of a 'check brake' which slows the trains down automatically, the braking pressure applied is determined primarily by weather conditions that influence the train's speed.
The track of the ride is built of seven layers of wood, with a steel running rail on top.
Barely noticeable from onboard the ride, a small path exists next to the ride structure and track.
The braking system is entirely mechanical. A series of rods connect the brake lever in the station to the brake apparatus on the track. The layout means that this motion has to function around corners, therefore this pivot is used.
The skeletal structure of the ride is simple, yet extremely striking.
The long, shallow, smooth dips of the 'back' portion of the ride make for easy walking during morning inspections.
The seven layers of wood that make up the track are replaced when necessary. Here the top two have been replaced with fresh wood and not yet been painted.
Up close, you get a greater appreciation for how the track is built, entirely by hand and in situ.
Each of the bents on the ride is numbered to aid inspections and maintenance work. Naturally, we chose #235 to photograph.
The gauge trolley is used to check clearance when replacing or maintaining track - it's far easier to use this than a train weighing several tons.
Indications of a former life ... the blue paint of the 'Roller Coaster' era can still be seen in a number of sections.
Within the turnaround of the smaller Blue Flyer coaster, opened a year later than its larger neighbour in 1934.
As the sun set, a lucky raffle winner was invited to walk to the top of the ride for a view of the sunset like no other.
  1. Home
  2. |
  3. Features
  4. |
  5. Articles
  6. |
  7. Article – Behind the...